VP of Solution ArchitectureApply Job ID: R-023233 Date posted: 06/06/2022 Primary Location TX-Austin Other Locations SC-Fort Mill , CA-Remote , TX-Remote ,CA-San Diego
Are you a team player that continuously learns and enjoys solving complex problems? Do you want to work with cutting-edge technology and help transform our architecture and products? If so, LPL Financial is the place for you!
LPL Financial is one of the largest independent broker-dealers and growing. The company recently eclipsed two huge milestones when it became part of the Fortune 500 for the first time in its history and crossed the one trillion dollars in assets under management threshold only a few weeks before. Extraordinary growth fueled by a compelling digital strategy lie ahead.
LPL Financial is one of the nation's leading financial services companies and a publicly traded company under ticker symbol LPLA. We support over 18,000 financial professionals—including over 14,000 independent advisors, more than 700 financial institutions, and over 4,000 institutional clearing and technology subscribers. We enable advisors to focus on their clients by reducing the complexity of running their practice and we support their business by offering enabling technology, comprehensive clearing and compliance services, practice management programs and training, and independent research. At LPL, we take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients. And Technology is at the center of our mission.
Join the Enterprise Architecture Organization as VP of Solution Architecture. We are an organization that believes strongly in diversity and inclusion, strives to reflect the community of advisors and end-investors we serve, and rewards both behaviors and delivery. As the leader of Solution Architecture, you will drive modern technology solutions across the full spectrum of LPL platforms, products, and initiatives. You will hire, lead and mentor a group of skilled solution architects that partner across LPL Technology and Product teams to define effective architectural solutions that meet or exceed the needs of the business while aligning with our target-state architecture strategy. You and your team will furthermore conceive and develop reference architecture models to simplify and accelerate solution development for the business. This role brings industry perspective to LPL Financial’s strategy development, reconciles tactical and strategic business needs, and works cross-functionally to align product initiatives to progress the enterprise roadmap.
This role demands a highly technical, forward looking, and innovative leader who possesses a strong foundation in architecture and software engineering. She/He must be able to work closely with the technology, business, and product leadership teams to ensure development of architectural solutions that support the Company’s mission, strategy, and growth. In addition, this leader must have experience working in complex and highly technical enterprise environments and understand how to balance the competing pressures of functional and non-functional requirements as well as the short-term and long-term needs of the business.
While focused on Solution Architecture, this new leader will contribute to shaping the overall Enterprise Architecture practice and drive continuous evolution of the technology platform, including strategic technology decisions, architectural upgrades, and potential integrations. The Leader should operate with close linkage to business and technology stakeholders to ensure priorities and pain points are aligned and addressed.
- Grow a diverse team, inclusive culture, and collaborative processes that reward behaviors in addition to delivery.
- Lead the team to “shift-left” in the product lifecycle and develop proactive, forward-looking architecture approaches that support our product roadmaps and portfolio.
- Interface with key business and IT leaders for the purpose of understanding priorities and delivering modern product architecture strategies and solutions that enable the company’s vision and extraordinary growth.
- Serve as an expert for software tools, technology, and standards while providing strategic architectural consulting in the areas of external trends, best practices, and adherence to standards.
- Help to construct the company’s target architecture strategy and accompanying roadmap, and drive forward training, framework development, and technology deployment in support of the strategy.
- Lead the solution architecture team to research, develop, and implement innovative software solutions to enable strategic objectives.
- Understand, advocate, and support enterprise technology, digital, and data strategies; monitor and analyze the technology environment to detect deficiencies and recommend improvements.
- Lead and facilitate the creation of governing principles to guide information, technology, and solution decision making for the enterprise.
- Lead the effective application of enterprise architecture principles through a deep understanding of the architecture discipline, processes, concepts and best practices.
- Be accountable for the definition and development of principles, guidelines, services, components, tools, standards, assets and frameworks required to support LPL Financial’s architecture.
Year One Expectations
- Immerse yourself in the company’s business vision, strategy, and business lines to develop a deep understanding of the business and underlying technology domains.
- Develop relationships with business and technology leadership and teams. Establish feedback loops that enable the Solution Architecture organization’s continuous improvement.
- Hire, lead, mentor and develop a diverse and inclusive team of deeply engaged and influential architects that proactively define architecture runway to enable and empower our product teams to deliver experiences and capabilities that delight our advisors, end-investors, and internal system actors.
- As part of LPL’s overall modernization efforts, construct LPL’s strategy to accelerate cloud adoption and seamlessly connect on-premise and cloud workloads. The strategy should unlock capability and data discovery and access, drive the company toward an event-driven architecture, and evangelize infrastructure-as-code, DevSecOps, Kubernetes, and automated pipelines.
- Establish key standards and frameworks that enable product development teams to embrace and align to the architecture targets and technology choices.
- Contribute to establishing broader enterprise architecture principles, standards, and measurements that drive modernization as well as consistency and efficiency into the technology ecosystem.
- Contribute to developing the broader governance and control structure that ensures alignment to target-state and architecture principles.
What are we looking for?
We want strong collaborators who can deliver a world-class client experience. We are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment, are client-focused, team oriented, and are able to execute in a way that encourages creativity and continuous improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering or a related field
- 10+ years experience leading architecture functions and/or performing as a senior architect, particularly in large corporate ecosystems.
- Experience designing and implementing strategic roadmaps along with the governance mechanisms to achieve them.
- Hands-on experience developing architecture blueprints, systems diagrams, data models, process flows, data flows, and other key architecture deliverables.
- Possess experience in cloud computing and cloud native software architectures, infrastructure-as-code, DevSecOps, Containers, Micro-services, Event Bus (esp. Kafka), and related concepts and technologies.
- Ability to convey technical solutions clearly to the entire organization and experience working with senior leaders across the firm to leverage technology in the pursuit of business outcomes.
- Adept at defining IT vision and strategy and identification of initiatives that lead to target state architectures and outcomes.
- Continuous learner especially in emerging areas of technology, modern work practices and digital transformation.
- Possess a thorough understanding of modern work practices such as DevOps, Continuous Delivery, Lean Enterprise/Lean Startup and Enterprise Agile.
- Demonstrate competency in innovative, strategic thinking, and leadership with strong abilities in relationship management.
- Sounds judgement and bias to action when balancing competing business and technological imperatives.
- Extensive experience working in large technology ecosystems with emphasis on integrating multiple externally facing high scale, high volume, always-on mission-critical systems.
- A master’s degree in one of the aforementioned fields
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lplfinancial.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.