VP, Associate General Counsel, Regulatory Inquiries and StrategyApply Job ID: R-007109 Date posted: 10/04/2019 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill Other Locations MA-Boston , CA-San Diego
The Regulatory Inquiries and Strategies (RIS) team is dedicated to managing complex regulatory matters with federal and state securities regulators as well as self-regulatory organizations (e.g., FINRA). In practice, this means serving as the principal point of contact in connection with enforcement and for cause regulatory inquiries of the Firm and its associated persons.
The Vice President, Associate General Counsel will work with a team of lawyers and RIS analysts to manage a variety of regulatory inquiries . Additional responsibilities include coordinating with investigative teams, Regulatory Advice attorneys in order to provide legal advice and counsel to the Firm and various business units, and the Litigation Group in connection with regulatory matters that may implicate threatened or actual litigation. The role will report to a Senior Vice President within the RIS team.
- Represent the Firm and/or its associated persons on complex regulatory matters involving the Firm and/or its associated persons. Responsibilities in this area include, among other things, evaluating legal and regulatory risk and exposure, drafting written responses and/or reviewing draft written responses prepared by RIS analysts, negotiating productions with regulators, and defending witnesses at testimony and during informal interviews.
- Coordinate with Regulatory Advice attorneys when counseling the Firm and various business units relating to federal, state and, SRO rules and regulations.
- Partner with investigations teams and investigative counsel to provide advice and guidance.
- Coordinate with the Litigation Group and other groups in the Legal, Compliance, and Risk Departments on issues arising out of regulatory inquiries and investigations that implicate threatened or actual litigation.
- Attend industry events and educational seminars focusing on regulatory developments and initiatives; maintain current practice knowledge through monitoring of industry related periodicals and other publications.
- Juris Doctor degree required
- Licensed member of the bar, in good standing, in the state in which the attorney is located
- Minimum of 5 years of securities regulatory enforcement experience; prior employment with a federal, state or SRO securities regulator is highly desirable; prior in-house experience preferred
- Experience with the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Investment Advisers Act of 1940, rules and regulations of self-regulatory organizations and basic corporate law principles
- Knowledge of the BSA, USA PATRIOT Act and FinCEN rules and regulations a plus, but not required
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Superior communication, writing, and analytical skills
- Ability to travel as needed
• Preference for Charlotte area, but may consider San Diego or Boston
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.