VP, Associate CounselApply Job ID: R-010310 Date posted: 11/05/2020 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill Other Locations MA-Boston , CA-San Diego
Under the direction of Senior Vice President, Associate General Counsel, the attorney in this position will provide pragmatic legal advice and counsel to human resources partners and other corporate departments with a particular focus on employment issues related to financial advisors. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide day-to-day counseling on employment matters to Human Resources partners.
- Advise Human Resources and business partners on employee relations matters such as terminations, restructurings, lay-offs, discipline, leaves of absence and accommodations as well as compliance with applicable federal and state employment statutes.
- Handle administrative matters at federal and state agencies such as the EEOC, or California DFEH or DLSE; oversee outside counsel handling employment litigation.
- Draft and advise on employment related documents such as offer letters, employment agreements, incentive compensation plans, transition assistance for financial advisors, retention agreements, separation agreements, and termination agreements.
- Remain informed and update Human Resources partners on legal, regulatory and other developments in the employment law arena; anticipate their potential impact on the company’s operations and strategy; and provide counsel to business and human resources to effectively manage these issues; draft and update human resources policies to comply with applicable laws and reflect legal developments.
We are seeking a lawyer with seven plus years of employment law experience including experience providing advice in the financial services industry. Although a combination of both law firm and in-house experience is preferred, we are open to considering lawyers solely with large law firm experience.
- JD from a nationally recognized law school
- Experience working for a large law firm
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interact well with business executives and provide pragmatic advice that balances business needs and legal risk
- Minimum six years of experience focused on employment law including in the financial services industry
The Compliance, Legal & Risk (CLR) team is focused on delivering an industry-leading client service and risk management experience by providing advisors and our internal business partners with proactive guidance, advice, advocacy and consultative partnerships.
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lpl.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.