SVP, Head of Litigation OperationsApply Job ID: R-021981 Date posted: 04/06/2022 Primary Location CA-Remote Other Locations CA-Remote
Are you a team player with a growth mindset? Are you interested in working in meaningful projects? Do you want to work with cutting-edge technology? Are you interested in being part of a team that is working to transform and do things differently? If so, LPL Financial is the place for you!
LPL Financial (Nasdaq: LPLA) was founded on the principle that the firm should work for the advisor, and not the other way around. Today, LPL is a leader* in the markets we serve, supporting more than 18,000 financial advisors, 800 institution-based investment programs and 450 independent RIA firms nationwide. We are steadfast in our commitment to the advisor-centered model and the belief that Americans deserve access to personalized guidance from a financial advisor. At LPL, independence means that advisors have the freedom they deserve to choose the business model, services, and technology resources that allow them to run their perfect practice. And they have the freedom to manage their client relationships, because they know their clients best. Simply put, we take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
SVP, Head of Litigation Operations (“LitOps”)
This position reports directly to the EVP, Head of Litigation and Regulatory Affairs of LPL's legal department and is responsible to ensure operational functioning of LPL’s litigation department. This includes the e-discovery operations of the department, matter management for litigations, regulatory matters, customer complaints and internal investigations, regulatory reporting, and the quarterly reserves process, among other things. The position will be a member of the department’s leadership team. This is a highly visible role in a dynamic and fast paced environment. The role helps to build and create capacity for the team by professionally interacting with employees across the firm as well as external clients, which include law firms and financial advisors. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, take a proactive approach to their work, look for opportunities to build capacity including process improvement, have strong attention to detail and the ability to build strong working relationships across the team and broader organization.
Working in direct partnership with senior legal leadership, the Head of LitOps will help execute LPL’s legal strategic operational roadmap and drive continuous improvement. The ideal candidate must be able to manage, train and continuously build a large team of attorneys and non-attorney professionals, and have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities, business drivers and organizational needs. Among their responsibilities, the successful candidate will manage a cross-functional e-discovery operation and legal hold system, oversee a department-wide system to efficiently intake and distribute matters for the legal department, manage and track the metrics and other information for such matters as they develop and build and manage a process for the quarterly reserves process.
- Maintaining a best in class eDiscovery operation, including in connection with internal investigations, litigation matters, customer complaints and regulatory matters. Creating, managing, and updating a universal eDiscovery roadmap and strategy to be used in correlation with matters across the entire department
- Serving as the liaison between technology and the legal team on eDiscovery issues, including as they relate to new systems proposed by technology and how new systems might impact the preservation and extraction of data required for legal, compliance and regulatory concerns
- Managing the quarterly legal reserves process, including coordination between legal and finance, preparing related reports for senior management
- Coordinating with and escalating issues to other business units, including maintaining external and internal audit relationships for the department
- Reporting to internal and external stakeholders on spend of vendors managed by the position, including implementing legal offshoring and vendor management, as needed
- Managing a team of individuals, including e-discovery specialists and a team of associates that coordinates the intake and distribution of matters into the legal department. Supervising regulatory filings and coordinating with intake personnel; supervising responses to requests made concerning regulatory filings
- Partnering with the Information Lifecycle Management team to facilitate an effective legal hold process and to deliver policy, guidance and expertise in the area of data and record management in compliance with SEC, FINRA, FICCA and other regulatory requirements
- Serving in a legal advisory capacity on certain substantive issues such as those that arise in connection with complex discovery, service of process, lifecycle management, etc.
- Maintaining responsibility for tracking obligations arising out of settlements, including remediation plans and undertakings, to support the Risk Department’s oversight of these issues
Other Job Duties:
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous business process improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality, and drives efficiency using a proactive and anticipatory approach resulting in an enhanced advisor experience
- Look proactively for efficiencies and ways to build in capacity and create leverage within the team
- Participate in industry committees
- Assess staff talent and provide feedback for employee development
- Serve as a go-to resource for executives and other staff members
- Work professionally with senior executives and clients, think and work independently, be proactive, handle confidential information and work effectively and efficiently
- Other ad hoc projects as assigned, including serving on or supporting attorneys with committees or large group projects
- J.D. with Bar admission and 10+ years’ relevant legal experience, preferably working in an in house legal department with responsibility over operational issues
- 5-7 years of direct experience in the brokerage or financial services industry
- Working knowledge of SEC, FINRA, NFA, CFTC, and MSRB rules especially Books and Records requirements
- Strong understanding of industry best practices on data and record management
- Exceptional analytical skills coupled with exceptional oral and written communication skills, facilitating clear and open communication at all levels of the organization
- Strong project management skills - ability to effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, multi-task and work within deadlines with little supervision in a fast paced environment
- Experience with strategic planning, budget management and reporting
- Ability to manage and lead geographically dispersed teams effectively in dynamic and fast paced environment
- A genuine interest and ability to connect with, build and maintain relationships with people at all levels and across organizational and geographic boundaries, including external partners
- Experience developing strategic or departmental planning materials that required consensus gathering from multiple constituents. Strong business partnering skills
- An ownership mentality – sees tasks through to completion. Goes the extra step to proactively seek out answers to problems that may fall outside his/her area of expertise
- Holds oneself and team accountable for decisions, direction and deadlines
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lplfinancial.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.