AVP, Data ModelerApply Job ID: R-010777 Date posted: 08/03/2020 Primary Location TX-Austin Other Locations SC-Fort Mill , CA-San Diego
We are currently looking to hire a Senior Data Modeler within the Enterprise Data and Information Services team, which is a part of LPL’s Technology organization. This position is responsible for establishing and maintaining foundational modeling practices and standards which will enable the company to transform the consumption and usage of data across the enterprise. The individual in this role will promote a deep understanding and awareness of data with a focus on information modeling, serve as a leader and data champion on data projects, and adhere to an enterprise-wide data governance framework to achieve the highest level of consistency, quality, and protection of data.
- Represent business concepts, their definitions, properties, and relationships via conceptual and logical models and diagrams.
- Coordinate discussions and reviews with subject matter experts and stakeholders to confirm key attributes and relationships and to perform model validation.
- Produce models to support the mapping of data in legacy data formats and data stores to modern formats and enterprise data stores.
- Facilitate the alignment of models across multiple domains.
- Create, update, and optimize logical and physical data models along with corresponding metadata.
- Define and leverage data modeling and design standards, tools, and best practices.
- Ensure naming convention standards are followed, data proliferation is minimized, and data governance processes are followed.
- Perform reverse engineering of data models from databases and SQL scripts.
- Design and implement data technology solutions in the areas of master data, metadata, and reference data.
- Participate in the evaluation of new tools and techniques to improve data management for the enterprise.
- Partner with business analysts, data analysts, and other technology resources to interpret business and data requirements and translate into data models.
- Collaborate with data architects, technical leads, developers, and DBAs to design and implement data solutions.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of data across all domains and entities.
- Provide support for metadata initiatives, including, but not limited to
- Business Glossary updates
- Data Dictionaries for physical table structures
- Data Models and Data Flow Diagrams
- Data Lineage within metadata repository
Other Job Duties:
- Mentor and provide leadership to more junior members of the team.
- 7-10 years’ experience in applying data management principles and industry standards to design, build, and maintain complex data model assets in Transactional/ Operational, ODS, Data Warehouse and Data Mart applications, with a heavy emphasis on transactional data.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Systems, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field.
- Expertise in data modeling principles, including conceptual, logical and physical data models.
- Mastery of data analysis and modeling tools, such as Power Designer, ERWin, and ER/Studio.
- Mastery of RDBMS platforms, including SQL Server and Oracle.
- Mastery of Data Definition Language (DDL) and Data Manipulation Language (DML) SQL commands.
- Experience maintaining metadata for complex data environments and ensuring data integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a high-performing team and influence others within the technology organization.
- Flexible and able to successfully navigate ambiguity and succeed in a rapidly-changing, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with multiple priorities.
- Highly organized with strong communication, problem-solving, documentation, and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to be proactive, possess flexible attitude, learn new skills, and manage ambiguity.
- Experience in financial services.
- Familiar with EDM Council, Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO), and other sources for financial industry models.
- Experience with both waterfall and agile project methodologies.
- Experience with Big Data technologies – such as Hadoop, Python, and Spark – are a plus but not required.
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lpl.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.