Internal Advisory ConsultantApply Job ID: R-010624 Date posted: 07/30/2020 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill
The primary purpose of the Internal Advisory Consultant (IAC) role is to drive advisory sales and marketing efforts of LPL's Financial Advisors within a specific territory. This is achieved by providing accurate details regarding the various advisory platforms and by providing consultative conversations about product features and benefits such as pricing, competitive comparisons, LPL Research recommendations, leveraging tools and technology, etc., and facilitating exception requests/issue resolution.
Most importantly, the Internal Advisory Consultant will provide comprehensive case consultations in which individual clients/prospects are researched on behalf of the advisor. The IAC is viewed as a subject matter expert by LPL and our advisors. The successful IAC must also demonstrate a high level of professionalism and knowledge to be a trusted consultant for financial advisors. The split between outbound and inbound calls is 80/20.
Client/Institution Case Consultations - Provides subject matter expert consulting with financial advisors on new sales opportunities. This involves performing a detailed needs analysis that starts through a discover process of the prospect through analyzing existing account statements and performance reports, determining appropriate risk tolerance, identifying estate/trust planning needs and understanding short and long term goals for assets. Once a comprehensive needs analysis is completed, the IAC provides options for consideration relative to asset allocations and/or manager selections as well as product solutions including managed accounts and alternative investments. These selections are all highly customizable and require critical thinking to help the advisor identify appropriate solutions. If necessary, other departments may be consulted including research, Private Trust Company, financial planning, etc. A baseline knowledge of these other areas is also essential for the IAC.
Advisory Platform Training & Education - Consults with financial advisors about all aspects of the five LPL advisory platforms including positioning from a practice management perspective, economics, features and functionality of all five platforms, and ultimately provide portfolio considerations for advisors' prospects. Must possess the ability to articulate market and economic impacts as well as technical investment characteristics of portfolios and underlying securities. Consults on advisory platform technology including portfolio analytic tools, investor presentation and portfolio builder tools and LPL Clientworks management/trading tools. Will also be expected to be able to discuss Advisor University and other training opportunities and help Advisors to determine how to best leverage those resources to grow their businesses.
Technology Training & Proposal Generation - Consult on product technology including portfolio analytic tools, investor presentation and portfolio builder tools and LPL Clientworks management/trading tools. Provides SME content and recommendations for training. Participates in proposal campaigns which includes leading webinars on AdvisoryWorld, helping advisors identify prospects for advisory platforms, creating the proposal and helping the advisor understand the positioning.
Other Job Duties:
- Use questioning techniques to diagnose advisor and client needs and provide appropriate options for consideration
- Provides financial advisors with analyses of existing prospect portfolios
- Works cooperatively across Advisory & Wealth Management Organization to facilitate cross referrals
- Works cooperatively with other LPL departments to facilitate cross referrals
- Maintains current knowledge and understanding of LPL Research models and updates, industry trends, etc.
- Continually learn and develop financial service industry knowledge
- Work in partnership with their external Regional Wealth Consultant (RWC) in territory
- 5+ years of Financial Services experience required; sales or consultative experience around investing is preferred
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent additional experience
- FINRA Series 7 and 63 required; must be able to obtain 65 or 66 within 90 days too
- AIF, CIMA, CFA, and/or CPA are a plus but not required
- Very strong knowledge of advisory/fee-based platforms
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Polished presentation skills are critical, as well as the ability to interact with sophisticated clients and advisors
- Creative problem-solving, effective decision making, ability to diffuse tense situations
- Ability to multi-task with strong follow-up skills
- Upbeat and optimistic attitude, energetic, and passion to drive sales
- Microsoft Office Suite proficiency required
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lpl.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.