Operations Regulatory Reporting InternApply Job ID: R-008722 Date posted: 02/03/2020 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill
Summer Intern, Operations Regulatory Reporting (STO)
What You'll Do
Our competitive 10- week paid graduate internship is an unparalleled opportunity to develop as a leader while sharpening your skills. The aim of our internship program is to provide students a valuable workplace experience to enhance their educational and professional goals. The projects that you drive during the summer will be tailored to your interests and will strategically affect change at our company. You will also have the chance to develop a deeper understanding of our culture and core values though career workshops, senior executive interactions, and community involvement opportunities.
We're looking for goal-oriented people who thrive in a fast-paced team environment and are eager to apply their problem solving skills to real business challenges. We empower employees to transform their skills, interests and connections into meaningful, collaborative solutions that work for the good of all of our stakeholders – our colleagues, customers and communities.
The Intern will play a key role in ensuring that the Operations Regulatory Reporting (ORR) team successfully performs its reporting responsibilities. It is vitally important that LPL Financial has effective reporting on operations and therefore we are subject to extensive scrutiny from regulators and auditors. The Intern will partner with the team’s Analysts as the primary regulatory reporting processors. The team works collectively to ensure that reports meet the regulatory requirements and adhere to the audit principals of completeness, accuracy, and timeliness.
The ORR team executes a number of firm-wide reporting functions that fulfill LPL Financial’s responsibilities as a Broker-Dealer and Registered Investment Advisor, including:
- Providing the Accounting department with key operational figures for the weekly 15 c3-3 Reserve and monthly 15c3-1 Net Capital (FOCUS) filings.
- Daily Large Option Position Reporting (LOPR) filings with the Options Clearing Corporation (OCC).
- Daily INSITE and semi-monthly Short Interest filings with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
- Quarterly Form 13F filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- Executing the 17a-13 Quarterly Securities Counts by comparing all securities held at LPL Financial with the records of the various depositories and transfer agents.
- Overseeing operational functions that lie upstream of our reporting requirements, such as: suspense account opening and reconciliation, option position limit monitoring, and the resolution of security count differences.
Other Duties/Skill Requirements
- Processing (typically using Excel) all Regulatory Reporting completely, accurately, and timely.
- Updating processing documentation as needed based upon the QC performed by the Senior Analysts.
- Partnering with the Senior Analysts in researching and providing explanations for reporting anomalies.
- Improving the team’s processing acumen by updating Policies & Procedures and cross-training new Analysts.
- Assisting with process improvements by standardizing workflows, developing templates, and partnering with the Technology business unit on more robust automated solutions.
Fort Mill, SC
Internship Standard Length
Monday through Friday 8-4:30
Average Hours Per Week
Skills & Qualifications
- College student who will have completed their sophomore or junior year in 2020.
- We prefer students in the Business programs, but will also consider other academic programs.
- 3.0 Minimum Overall GPA Required
- Ability to work well under pressure, adapt to unexpected events, prioritize and multi-task in a deadline driven environment.
- Intermediate level of proficiency in Excel (vlookup, countifs, pivot tables).
- Detail oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills.
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 4,200 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2019, based on total revenue.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lpl.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.