SVP, Enterprise Risk Management (Compliance, Legal and Risk)Apply Job ID: R-006451 Date posted: 10/31/2019 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill
LPL is seeking a Senior Vice President (SVP) and Head of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM).
The Head of ERM will lead a second line of defense team responsible for:
- Owning and implementing LPL’s operational risk management framework;
- Effectively challenging the businesses’ operational risk management activities and providing senior management with an independent assessment of businesses’ operational risk profile; and
- Identifying new and emerging operational risk themes based on internal and external data.
This person will be expected to lead the evolution of the ERM as part of LPL’s broader efforts to enhance its risk management capabilities.
- Enhance LPL’s operational risk management framework, supporting standards and procedures covering identification, measurement, monitoring and management of operational risk.
- Lead the execution of day-to-day responsibilities owned by the ERM team including, but not limited to:
- Effectively challenge the businesses’ operational risk oversight activities including completed internal incident reports, RCSAs, and scenario analyses; and
- Tasks owned by the operational risk team including operational risk deep dives, tracking of business action plans, KRI tracking and the production of operational risk reports for senior management.
- Lead efforts (e.g. training, communications) to enhance risk management practices within LPL and reinforce the company’s broader risk culture
- Use subject matter expertise and industry knowledge to provide independent oversight and credible challenge of business units operational risk management activities
- Direct engagement with the business units and control function leaders to promote a strong operational risk culture
- Active engagement in key front line governance routines inclusive of strategic planning sessions, governance committees and business reviews
- Review and challenge of risk acceptance decisions and new business initiatives
- Identify and escalate to senior leadership conflicts with risk management results and expected business outcomes
- Influence risk management prioritization by the front line to enable the business to meet strategic objectives, while meeting operational risk program expectations
- Evaluate cross-program and cross-group analytics to identify opportunities and best practices to influence stronger risk management practices by the business
- Active, routine engagement with senior leaders to ensure information sharing across risk types
- Develop and deliver content to senior business leaders summarizing the results of the independent risk assessment activities
- Provide leadership to the ERM team, in particular:
- Define deliverables for team members and monitor their execution;
- Train, coach and develop team members; and
- Attract and retain top talent
This position requires business engagement to drive and effect change. This position will partner with both internal and external stakeholders, including senior management from all three lines of defense, as well as relevant regulatory agencies.
A successful candidate will have the experience and ability to:
- Successfully review and challenge business operational risk management practices and outcomes.
- Build and sustain a strong risk culture including a balanced approach through working in cooperation and consultation with all lines of defense across the enterprise.
- Leverage their experience to bring industry leading standards, practices and tools to the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree a plus
- Minimum 10+ years working in the financial services industry or a highly related industry requiring significant risk and compliance controls
- Leadership, integrity, and credibility
- Strong relationship management, influencing, vision and execution skills
- Analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Candidates must be articulate, possess executive level presentation and communication skills
- Ability to operate successfully in a complex, heavily matrixed corporate environment
- Ability to prioritize key deliverables, multi-task and work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Strong meeting management and facilitation skills
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.