SVP, Internal Audit - Internal Client FacingApply Job ID: R-006447 Date posted: 04/02/2019 Primary Location CA-San Diego Other Locations SC-Fort Mill
The SVP, Internal Audit - Internal Client Facing reports directly to the EVP, Chief Audit Executive (CAE). The CAE reports directly to the Audit Committee of LPL Financial and administratively to the CFO.
The SVP, Internal Audit - Internal Client Facing works very closely with the certain Department’s senior leadership, such as Business Development and Legal, Compliance & Risk. S/he is a leader in Internal Audit, partnering with IA peers as well as other key leaders across the firm.
The SVP, Internal Audit - Internal Client Facing is responsible for leading risk-based internal audits of the assigned groups and working collaboratively with the Internal Audit team to complete the annual audit plan and the Controls Testing Program. The SVP will develop and maintain strong internal client relationships with the business and operations in order to be a true business partner.
- Provide oversight and leadership of audit engagement’s planning, fieldwork, identification, development and documentation of audit issues, recommendations and their reporting.
- Oversee the identification of, and evaluate risk areas, and will be responsible for developing a major portion of the Internal Audit annual audit plan.
- Be a leader and a team player. Help to acquire, develop and motivate high quality professional management and staff through effective recruiting, education and training, professional development, career counseling, and succession planning programs.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with senior leaders, other key stakeholders, Finance and Internal Audit peers, and any key vendors, including the external auditors. Maintain effective working relationships with all internal constituents, including business and functional leaders.
- Provide guidance, direction and leadership towards seeking efficiencies in the organization without compromising its effectiveness.
- Ensure effective reporting of audit results, monitor business unit manager implementation of corrective risk reduction plans and actions, and follow-up to measure the success of plans and actions taken.
- Provide advice and counsel to management on complex risk management and control issues.
- Comply with reporting systems that ensure timely identification and reporting of risk and control matters and prompt/early escalation of critical issues including follow-up to resolution.
- Effectively represent internal audit on enterprise-wide project teams, at management and board meetings, as well as to external parties and organizations.
- Ensure audit test work, including documentation and reporting, is executed in accordance with department and professional standards and completed timely.
- Provide other internal audit status reporting as required.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, and an MBA a plus
- CPA, CIA, CISSP, PMP or CISA certification
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 10 year’s professional audit experience, or similar
- 5+ years of progressive experience leading teams and building internal programs in a technically and operationally complex business
- Experience working in a “Big 4” auditing firm a plus
- Experience with large, diversified financial services firms; specific experience with Broker Dealers is preferred
- Solid understanding of risk and controls is expected
- Ability to proactively engage with stakeholders and communicate complex risk areas in “plain” terms
- Demonstrated successful project management experience, business acumen, and comfortable with ambiguity-
- Knowledge of IIA standards; FRB/regulatory reporting; Sarbanes-Oxley Act; FINRA guidance, risk management techniques and compliance requirements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; including extensive PowerPoint experience
Specifically, it is preferred that the candidate has experience in the following areas:
- Possess significant business and personal leadership skills, initiative and independent judgment and responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining effective risk based audit plans
- The principles of internal control and policy formulation; Ability to think strategically, be able to see patterns, anticipates future consequences and trends, and incorporates them into on-going plans
- Strong business and financial acumen and project management/ organizational skills with ability to multi-task and deal with change in a pro-active and positive manner
- Ability to enhance and maintain productivity through effective organization, planning and administration of audit activities
- Demonstrated advanced ability to assess the relevancy of audit findings, identify root causes of systemic control weaknesses rather than symptoms, identify potential risk exposures and their materiality, spot improving or deteriorating trends, and assign fair and appropriate risk ratings at the completion of audits
- Sound judgment and confident ability to make decisions supported by strong oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable building relationships at all levels in the organization
- Strong ability to establish and maintain effective communication and coordination at all levels in the organization and with external parties, including external auditors
- Demonstrated experience and success at articulating a strategic vision, driving critical decision making, influencing and inspiring others, and getting results
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.