SVP, Product ManagementApply Job ID: R-000641 Date posted: 12/29/2017 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill
The SVP, Product Management will manage a team of product managers with responsibilities across all products in distribution at the firm as well as general securities. In this role, the SVP will be responsible leading various product initiatives within LPL Financial and across the industry in addition to supervising the day to day product management aspects of the business.
The product management team acts as the business owner for their products. They are the subject matter experts and act as the hub for the supporting business units across the firm. Product managers are responsible for understanding and explaining all business aspects of their products and must be able to work with numerous business units across the firm.
Key activities of product managers include:
- Product onboarding: The team is active in sourcing and onboarding products, which also includes facilitating due diligence and presenting products to various committees for approval.
- Supporting consulting teams: LPL Financial has a product consulting team that works to help advisors navigate the product space. Product managers are responsible for delivering the consulting team the right messages and information about their product categories.
- Product administration and maintenance: Product managers are responsible for how their product operates within the LPL environment. If new developments or deficiencies arise, product managers are likely the first to know and are responsible for shepherding them through the right channels within the firm. They also own projects and initiatives related to improving their lines business cases and distribution profile within the firm.
- Product strategy and development: Identifying trends in the marketplace and working with product manufacturers to innovate and serve investor and advisor needs.
- Partnering with product sponsors: Product managers must interact daily with product sponsors. They are called often for opinions on product design as well as partnership opportunities for focused distribution efforts. In some cases, product managers may lead or initiate product design or change initiatives with sponsors.
- Provide leadership to address key strategic issues and opportunities, working in collaboration across multiple functions and channels.
- Build effective business partnerships and relationships with senior leaders across the firm
- Work with key stakeholders across LPL to affect change
- Lead, develop and manage a team of product managers.
- Present recommendations to Executive Management
- Manage and developing talent within a strong and growing product management group
- Work with product sponsors to accomplish the firm’s objectives
- Participate in industry organization working groups
This position is based in either San Diego, CA or Fort Mill, SC. This position reports to EVP, Products and Platforms.
The position requires keen strategic thinking and analytical skills, outstanding project management experience, excellent time management skills, team and leadership skills with a pragmatic results orientation. Must be able to balance a collaborative approach with driving their own independent efforts all while effectively working with professionals across all levels of a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and fast-paced organization.
Specifically, candidates should have and be able to demonstrate:
- MBA or relevant Master’s degree plus 6-8 years’ experience post-degree in management consulting, and/or strategic business development preferably in financial services OR Bachelor’s degree plus 10+ years’ experience in the same areas
- Prior management experience
- Product management experience at a high level with relevant products for the position along with the ability to pass on the best practices
- Problem solving skills that enable efficient identification of issues, structuring and execution of analysis, development of actionable recommendations and implantation of those recommendations
- Strong communication skills – both oral and written – and a strong senior executive presence
- A good balance between strategic thinking skills, insights mindset and process
- Ability to present
- Highly collaborative with experience in leading and influencing teams and individuals across lines of business, functional areas and different levels of an organization
- Strong understanding of and experience in driving change in an organization
- Action orientation and desire to roll-up sleeves, get hands dirty and dig into the depths of the business if necessary
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong team work, leadership and interpersonal skills
LPL Financial, the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer since 1996* and the fourth largest broker/dealer overall, serves as an enabling partner to more than 14,000 independent financial advisors and approximately 700 financial institutions. Since its formation decades ago, LPL has focused on one primary mission -- enabling independent financial advisors to bring objective and un-biased financial advice to millions of Americans.
Headquartered in Boston, San Diego, and Fort Mill, and powered by more than 3,300 client-centric employees, LPL is financially strong and growing.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.