SVP, Risk Management (Service, Trading and Operations)Apply Job ID: R-006324 Date posted: 03/27/2019 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill
At LPL Financial, we are currently looking for a Senior Vice President to oversee our Service, Trading and Operations (STO) Risk Management function.
The SVP of STO Risk Management will enhance the overall risk and control process for Service, Trading and Operations, and work closely with Compliance, Legal and Risk (CLR), Internal Audit (IA), and Technology to define, implement, and continuously instill a risk ready, customer-centric culture throughout STO. The SVP is responsible for leading the STO Risk Management team, and partnering with leadership across the organization to assess, develop, and deliver strong and effective controls and procedures aimed at mitigating risk throughout the organization, while continually balancing these risks against the impact they might have on our advisors and their clients.
The Head of STO Risk will also own and be responsible for effectively tracking and working with various departments to mitigate previously identified risks and continually searching for new and emerging risks that could impact STO and being a role-model leader in our customer-centric transformation.
- Effectively lead the STO Risk team, with a focus on safeguarding client information and promoting a culture of high performance aligned with “One Team with One Mission” and focused on employee development, team engagement, priorities, etc.
- Driving and institutionalizing a sustained and focused strategy to enhance the risk and controls environment and achieve high quality standards.
- Creating consistent and consolidated reporting for all of the STO areas to identify control weaknesses and develop and track ongoing action plans.
- Creating and maintaining the budget within the Risk Management unit.
- Managing the STO Operations Regulatory Reporting team to ensure Operational reporting such as Focus and Reserve reporting are delivered timely and accurately to Finance and Treasury and Trade reporting, which includes Order Audit Trail System (OATS), Electronic Clue Sheets (EBS), and Consolidated Audit Trail (CAT), is submitted timely and accurately to the appropriate regulators.
- Ownership of the Business Continuity Program (BCP) within STO. This includes working in partnership with BCP and STO leaders to ensure Disaster Recovery protocols are maintained and updated and the ownership of STO’s weather related planning and coordination efforts.
- Solution driven thought leadership and strategic approach on firm-wide remediation efforts.
- Identify and produce common risk standard levels for the various STO functions and assess related performance.
- Drive the development of a more proactive and anticipatory approach to risk management throughout STO and imbed that mindset into the organizations culture.
- Ensure ongoing analysis of risk, understand gaps and vulnerabilities as well as regulatory trends.
- Determine potential impact on the organization’s risk posture.
- Benchmarking STO’s effectiveness against industry standard and peer firms.
- Align STO’s risk effort with the overall LPL control environment.
- Being recognized as a strategic thought leader and effective business partner in development of enterprise-wide and business segment strategy.
- Partner and cultivate meaningful relationships with employees at all levels across the enterprise including: Technology, CLR and HC to enable a culture of risk and controls.
- Ability to influence and interface effectively with all levels of management.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree a plus
- Series 7, 24, 63 and 65 required
- 15+ years of industry experience (preferably in financial services) including extensive knowledge of operations, service, trading, audit, compliance and risk.
- Strong overall business acumen (preferably operations experience).
- Experience managing vendors and vendor relationships.
- Ability to aggregate, analyze and interpret control environment related data in order to create recommendations and solutions. Must be able to communicate effectively to executive management and board members.
- Ability to manage and lead effectively in an ever changing regulatory environment through business acumen and organizational agility.
- Expert change management driver who has critical consensus building skills and an ability to drive complex initiatives and change across multiple functions within the organization through; partnership with and leverage of; others experience, expertise and ability.
- Build strong business relationships across the enterprise to enable a thorough understanding and close alignment with business needs, direction and risk appetite.
Soft Skills Required:
- Empathy for the financial advisors and a customer-centric mindset that understands we exist as a firm to serve them.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for both internal and external audiences.
- Personable and reliable self-starter who requires minimal management oversight for day-to-day responsibilities.
- Strong attention to details with a pro-active, self-reliant approach to problem solving and problem prevention.
- Holds oneself and team accountable for decisions, direction, and deadlines with geographically dispersed team members.
- Ability to work under heavy pressure/demands/deadlines and manage multiple priorities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and partnership skills and the ability to positively influence outcomes and drive change.
- Strong time management skills.
- Highly motivated and able to adapt to changing priorities as well as timely execute on projects/initiatives in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly ethical and trustworthy.
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.