VP, Cloud Engineering & Automation
Are you a team player? Are you curious to learn? Are you interested in working in meaningful projects? Do you want to work with cutting-edge technology? Are you interested in being part of a team that is working to transform and do things differently? If so, LPL Financial is the place for you!
LPL Financial (Nasdaq: LPLA) was founded on the principle that the firm should work for the advisor, and not the other way around. Today, LPL is a leader* in the markets we serve, supporting more than 18,000 financial advisors, 800 institution-based investment programs and 450 independent RIA firms nationwide. We are steadfast in our commitment to the advisor-centered model and the belief that Americans deserve access to personalized guidance from a financial advisor. At LPL, independence means that advisors have the freedom they deserve to choose the business model, services, and technology resources that allow them to run their perfect practice. And they have the freedom to manage their client relationships, because they know their clients best. Simply put, we take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
The VP, Cloud Engineering & Automation Manager will lead an engineering organization responsible for enterprise cloud platform engineering and infrastructure automation. As a senior leader in I&O organization, you will develop and execute overall platform engineering strategy that enables cloud native designs and accelerates cloud adoption to meet overall business objectives.
- Develop vision and strategy for a secure, scalable, reliable, automated cloud platform that enables self-service and frictionless delivery of cloud services at scale
- Lead research, design, architecture and development of enterprise services on AWS Landing zone platform utilizing AWS Well-Architected framework and IaC principles to build secure/resilient/efficient infrastructure
- Collaborate across IT to develop enterprise automation strategy and a framework to drive “automate everything” approach for platform deployment and configuration management
- Accelerate development of foundational cloud capabilities that allow for rapid deployment of cloud application and services
- Collaborate with IT stakeholders to develop, communicate and execute a multi-year automation strategy to simplify delivery model, reduce hand-offs and drive transformational change
- Lead cloud platform engineering transformation to support modern development architecture supporting always-on enterprise applications and services.
- Develop a progressive engineering culture that fosters creativity, collaboration, and continuous improvement
- Integrate / automate deployment and provisioning of highly available infrastructure across data centers / hybrid cloud platform to reduce overall time to market
- Build / Maintain strong partnerships with IT stakeholders including Delivery Engineering, Application Development, Architecture, Security and Operations to ensure technology investment enables/drives business strategy
- Anticipate business need and influence infrastructure and architecture roadmaps across product teams
- Foster and drive organizational change through technology and process optimization
- Evaluate, recommend and influence procurement decisions for tools and frameworks for effective delivery
- Establishes a framework of repeatable / scalable processes for dynamic, centralized IT organization supporting multiple business units
- Manage ongoing vendor relationships including evaluation products and services
- Develop / attract / retain top talent to build and maintain a world class organization
- Establish KPIs to measure organization performance and effectiveness
What are we looking for?
We want strong collaborators who can deliver a world-class client experience. We are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment, are client-focused, team oriented, and are able to execute in a way that encourages creativity and continuous improvement.
- 10+ years of software engineering leadership focused on scalable cloud infrastructure and platform development on AWS.
- Progressive leadership experience building / leading engineering teams in a large, global financial institutions.
- Demonstrated technology and people leadership experience in architecting / developing / transforming cloud platforms and services. (migrations & native implementations)
- Proven experience with AWS Landing Zone and Account Vending Machine framework to build robust catalog of services that accelerate overall time to market
- Proven track record of infrastructure transformation focused on infrastructure-as-code (IaC) for end-to-end infrastructure deployment automation
- Proven experience leading engineering teams using Agile software development and LEAN/DevOps/SRE principles to deliver new platforms and services
- Proven experience with cloud financial management that brings overall clarity and accountability of operating IT workloads in the cloud (FinOps)
- Bachelor’s/Advance degree and/or related field experience required
- Ability to convey technical solutions to the entire organization and experience working with senior leaders across the firm to leverage technology to drive positive business outcomes
- Agile mindset; Possess a thorough understanding of modern work practices such as DevOps, Continuous Delivery, Agile project Delivery
- In depth understanding on AWS Well-Architected Framework, AWS Landing Zone and DevSecOps
- Extensive experience working in large technology ecosystems with emphasis on integrating multiple externally facing high scale, high volume, always-on mission-critical systems
- Ability to create and articulate inspiring vision for the engineering organization
- Experience with a data driven approach to designing and implementing technology
- Extensive experience deploying system management configuration tools (Ansible, Puppet, Terraform, CF) to manage compute infrastructure at scale
- Highly collaborative with experience in leading and influencing teams
- Foster a culture of excellence and ownership
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the regulatory, security, privacy and risk safeguards required of a global financial institution
- Experience designing / automating VPC solutions across AWS networking services (Direct Connect, VPM Gateway, Private Link, VPC Peering, Transit Gateway)
- Experience designing / automating data management solutions across AWS storage services (EBS, EFS, S3, Glacier, Storage Gateway
- Experience designing / automating enterprise services on platform (ECS, EKS, API Gateway, ELB, RDS, S3, Lamdba, Glue, CodePipeline)
- Experience with open telemetry including Prometheus, Grafana, ELK, AWS Distro
- Experience with CI/CD (GitHub, Gitlab, Atlassian, Jenkins, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation, JSON, YAML)
- Agile Methodologies: Scrum/Kanban; Jira for delivery and reporting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong executive presence
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lplfinancial.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.