VP, Platform Engineering – Data Platforms
Are you a team player? Are you curious to learn? Are you interested in working in meaningful projects? Do you want to work with cutting-edge technology? Are you interested in being part of a team that is working to transform and do things differently? If so, LPL Financial is the place for you!
LPL Financial (Nasdaq: LPLA) was founded on the principle that the firm should work for the advisor, and not the other way around. Today, LPL is a leader* in the markets we serve, supporting more than 18,000 financial advisors, 800 institution-based investment programs and 450 independent RIA firms nationwide. We are steadfast in our commitment to the advisor-centered model and the belief that Americans deserve access to personalized guidance from a financial advisor. At LPL, independence means that advisors have the freedom they deserve to choose the business model, services, and technology resources that allow them to run their perfect practice. And they have the freedom to manage their client relationships, because they know their clients best. Simply put, we take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
The VP, Infrastructure Engineering – Database will lead platform engineering organization responsible for enterprise data platforms. As a senior leader in I&O organization, you will have the opportunity to define/execute database platform strategy / vision and roadmap for on-prem and hybrid-cloud. This role will define next generation cloud data architecture/platforms and be accountable for engineering of highly scalable data solutions.
- Develop and lead infrastructure platform engineering team responsible for enterprise data platform architecture and engineering
- Lead database platform transformation/modernization supporting always-on enterprise applications and services
- Accelerate infrastructure transformation to provision / manage infrastructure through infrastructure as code (IaC) to enable self-service and reduce handoffs
- Collaborate with IT stakeholders to develop, communicate and execute a multi-year technology strategy to simplify architecture and delivery model
- Partner with architecture team to drive tool and data platform alignment to modern data architecture practices (modern data stack).
- Provide thought leadership for platform and data architecture as move transition to hybrid-cloud
- Provide Tier 3 engineering support ensuring effective 24x7x365 support for assigned technology including vendor escalation
- Partner with Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity organizations to integrate disaster recovery processes with day-to-day technology engineering and operations
- Build / Maintain strong partnerships with IT stakeholders including Delivery Engineering, Application Development, Architecture, Security and Operations to ensure technology investment enables/drives business strategy
- Foster and drive organizational change through technology and process optimization
- Establish KPIs to measure organization performance and effectiveness
- Manage ongoing vendor relationships including evaluation products and services
- Develop / attract / retain top talent to build and maintain a world class organization
What are we looking for?
We want strong collaborators who can deliver a world-class client experience. We are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment, are client-focused, team oriented, and are able to execute in a way that encourages creativity and continuous improvement.
- 10+ years of data solution architecture, design, development and platform engineering experience
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience working within large, global financial institutions
- Demonstrated technology and people leadership experience in architecting/deploying highly scalable data solutions on-prem and cloud
- Proven track record of infrastructure transformation focused on infrastructure-as-code (IaC) for end-to-end infrastructure deployment automation
- Proven track record of architecting modern data integration frameworks, data modeling, ETL/ELT workflows, highly scalable distributed systems using open source and emerging data architecture designs and patterns.
- Proven expertise in core AWS services (S3, EFS, EC2, EBS, IAM, ECS, Lambda)
- Proven track record leading migration of data platforms to new data centers and/or AWS
- Proven expertise to evaluate, prototype, and onboard cloud data platforms
- Proven expertise in database platforms (SQL Server/Always On, ORACLE/RAC, PostgreSQL), AWS RDS, Dynamo DB
- Proven expertise in cloud data services such as OLTP, ODS, data lake and analytics platforms
- Proven expertise in data warehousing, big data and analytics platforms (RedShift, EMR, Dataiku, Tableau, Presto)
- Proven track record developing, communicating and executing multi-year technology strategy and roadmaps
- Ability to convey technical solutions to the entire organization and experience working with senior leaders across the firm to leverage technology to drive positive business outcomes
- Agile mindset; Possess a thorough understanding of modern work practices such as DevOps, Continuous Delivery, Agile project Delivery
- Extensive experience utilizing management configuration tools (Ansible, Puppet, Terraform, CF) to manage data platforms at scale
- Highly collaborative with experience in leading and influencing teams
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the regulatory, security, privacy and risk safeguards required of a global financial institution
- AWS LZ, SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, RedShift, RDS, Snowflake, ECS, EKS, RDS, Transit Gateway, Storage Gateway, Glacier, EBS, EFS, S3, IAM, Lamdba, Jira, Terraform
- CI/CD (GitHub, Atlassian, Jenkins, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation, JSON, YAML)
- Agile Methodologies: Scrum/Kanban
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong executive presence
#Remote - LI
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lplfinancial.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.