VP Software DevelopmentApply Job ID: R-017970 Date posted: 10/04/2021 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill Other Locations TX-Austin , TX-Dallas
LPL Financial is one of the nation's leading financial services companies and a publicly traded company under ticker symbol LPLA.
We support over 18,000 financial professionals—including over 14,000 independent advisors, more than 700 financial institutions, and over 4,000 institutional clearing and technology subscribers. We enable advisors to focus on their clients by reducing the complexity of running their practice and we support their business by offering enabling technology, comprehensive clearing and compliance services, practice management programs and training, and independent research. At LPL, we take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients. And Technology is at the center of our mission.
Are you a team player? Are you curious to learn? Are you interested in working in meaningful projects? Do you want to work with cutting-edge technology? Are you interested in being part of a team that is working to transform and do things differently? If so, LPL Financial is the place for you!
Working independently, the VP of Software Engineering oversees software engineering talent across multiple product teams. The individual will be well versed in digital-native cloud technologies and have experience with the technologies listed below. The principle responsibilities for this position will be focused on setting up the technologists for success. This will include working cross functionally to ensure the development patterns are well defined and understood by the teams.
The VP of Software Engineering will recruit and coach engineers to ensure they can successfully deliver technology solutions including standards, pre-production environments, and development tools. In addition, this position partners with other Agile team leaders to share learning, mitigate technical dependencies, plan for capacity needs and establish practice consistency between agile teams. Activities will also include daily oversight of development quality, partnering with solution architecture to establish patterns that progress the teams towards scalable platforms.
- Recruit, coach and manage software engineering roles across product teams
- Ensuring a high level of performance as it relates to all aspects of software engineering (continuous integration, code quality, test driven development, adherence to target architecture, etc.)
- Ensure all team members have the environment, permissions and tools necessary to execute with velocity
- Monitor and manage team velocity and throughput to maximize future resources; evaluate performance breakdowns when they occur and take immediate action to improve team performance
- Design and implement n-tiered applications that perform across all quality requirements including but not limited to Reliability, Scalability, TCO, Supportability, etc.
- Collaborate with other Development teams, Architecture and Support teams to design, and maintain the various platforms and their integration with other systems
- Assess opportunities for application and process improvements and prepare documentation outlining platform road map
- Maintain, troubleshoot, optimize and enhance existing systems
- Work collaboratively with QA, DevOPS teams to adopt CI/CD tool chain and develop automation
- Communicate with technical and non-technical groups on a regular basis as part of product/project support
- Design and develop core services and components with expertise in service-oriented architecture
- Design patterns and coding best practices
- Manage technical leads that work with Product Owners and Product Managers to translate business problem statements into technical solutions, then help to plan Sprints that deliver quality results
- Assist in technical assessment of risks and issues, and document recommendations
- Coordinate solution design with leaders from Architecture, Data, Infrastructure, and Business to optimize speed to market and achieve prioritized business outcomes.
- Once production build commences, coach the team in developing appropriate technical documentation in accordance with SDLC guidelines
- Communicate with technical and non-technical groups on a regular basis as part of product support
- Stay informed of current and future technological trends and developments
- 6+ Years of demonstrated development team leadership
- Excellent knowledge of OOP concepts, data modeling design patterns/frameworks
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge in designing, refactoring, and unit testing
- Experience with Agile development process
- Excellent Communication and Coaching skills with demonstrated capacity to build consensus and empower developers to achieve independently.
- Preferred hands-on experience with MuleSoft, and/or other API Management tools
- Proficient ability to communicate effectively with others using written and spoken English including the ability to provide clear, constructive feedback to team members
- Proficient project planning skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and control job responsibilities in order to meet deadlines in an environment with overlapping and potentially conflicting priorities
Critical Thinking: Formulating workable solutions to complex challenges; logically deliberating on courses of action by examining and challenging assumptions, discerning hidden value, objectively evaluating evidence, and assessing conclusions.
Emotional Intelligence: Leveraging high levels of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management, capacity to manage behavior, navigate social complexities and make personal decisions to achieve positive results.
Communication: Demonstrates the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to target audiences ranging from the board to individual contributors.
Innovation: Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different/novel ways to deal with work problems/opportunities.
Managing Complexity: Understanding and managing the complexity associated with integrating digital touch points into the advisor and client journeys.
Operational Excellence: Driving efficiency (both TTM and ROI) into product development efforts through strong communication with IT and strong demand management.
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lplfinancial.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.