VP, Data Engineering ManagerApply Job ID: R-023586 Date posted: 06/15/2022 Primary Location NC-Remote Other Locations TX-Austin , SC-Fort Mill , CA-Remote ,CA-San Diego
Are you a team player? Are you curious to learn? Are you interested in working in meaningful projects? Do you want to work with cutting-edge technology? Are you interested in being part of a team that is working to transform and do things differently? If so, LPL Financial is the place for you!
LPL Financial (Nasdaq: LPLA) was founded on the principle that the firm should work for the advisor, and not the other way around. Today, LPL is a leader* in the markets we serve, supporting more than 18,000 financial advisors, 800 institution-based investment programs and 450 independent RIA firms nationwide. We are steadfast in our commitment to the advisor-centered model and the belief that Americans deserve access to personalized guidance from a financial advisor. At LPL, independence means that advisors have the freedom they deserve to choose the business model, services, and technology resources that allow them to run their perfect practice. And they have the freedom to manage their client relationships, because they know their clients best. Simply put, we take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
The primary focus of the Data Engineering Manager at LPL Financial is to design, build and maintain the sustainable, highly performant, scalable capabilities that support the delivery of world-class standards of software products and processes. You will be leading a cross-functional team responsible for designing, building, and modernizing existing systems leveraging cloud design principles for ingesting data, processing/preparing data for consumption, and common services for integration.
- Delivery of High-speed, high quality & optimally priced software that delivers highest value & prioritized business outcomes.
- Responsible for the platform processing agile team made up of FTE’s & Vendor contractors. You will be responsible for Pod design that delivers high value product using technical capabilities of various data platforms.
- Work with Product Owners & other business and technology stakeholders across various LPL business units to influence Business Epics prioritization, work break down-structures such that we are able to deliver value fastest & cheapest.
- Work with technical engineers within your Pod and other Pods to identify and implement process improvements to the improve the time to market for data solutions
- Responsible to manage functional & engineering IP balance between FTE & Vendor contractors to avoid SPOF, avoid excessive vendor dependency, & have optimal design for coverage between on-shore and off-shore.
- Technical Craftsmanship & Platform Management
- Responsible for owning and managing creation of technical roadmaps to provide pragmatic and incremental strategies for transitioning from legacy ETL constructs to high-performant, reusable, cloud patterns
- Research and train members within your Pod and other Pods across the Enterprise Data team on best practices and design patterns
- Responsible for ensuring data platforms are designed with re-usability in mind to advance the overall Data Strategy
- Responsible for ensuring all new solutions are aligned to the Enterprise Architecture best practices and existing systems are migrated to follow proper design patterns
- Innovate via experimentation & partnership with newer vendors offering enhanced capabilities at similar of cheaper price-points.
- Operational Excellence
- Responsible for system online times and SLA for performance
- Responsible for implementing pro-active monitoring solutions to ensure any data quality, timeliness, and accuracy issues can be identified before end-users identify them
- Build manual and automated operational processes to monitor system health
- Provide thought leadership in cloud monitoring and balancing processing scale with cost management
What are we looking for?
We want strong collaborators who can deliver a world-class client experience. We are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment, are client-focused, team oriented, and are able to execute in a way that encourages creativity and continuous improvement.
- Has a total of 12+yrs IT experience & minimum 7-10 yrs experience working with big data solutions
- Has proven ability to innovate and modernize legacy platforms while providing continuous business value
- Cloud/ SaaS hosted capabilities such as AWS or Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud
- Experience with multiple database platforms including Oracle, MS SQL Server, NoSQL, and graph Databases
- Strong experience developing solutions on multiple platforms while leading engineering teams with FTEs and Vendor contractors
- Has 2-5yrs experience in running engineering Pods that followed SAFe cadence for their day-2-day cadence
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both oral and written
- Understanding of Apache tools including Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, and Hive
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing RESTful services
- Experience in the financial services market
- Understanding of ETL tools and techniques
- Facilitate group workshops to extract knowledge of existing processes
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lplfinancial.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.