AVP, Associate CounselApply Job ID: R-002765 Date posted: 04/26/2018 Primary Location CA-San Diego
Job title: Assistant Vice President, Associate Counsel
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Associate General Counsel
Under the direction of Senior Vice President, Associate General Counsel, the attorney in this position will provide pragmatic legal advice and counsel to human resources partners and other corporate departments. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide day-to-day counseling on employment matters to Human Resources partners.
- Advise Human Resources and business partners on employee relations matters such as terminations, restructurings, lay-offs, discipline, leaves of absence and accommodations as well as compliance with applicable federal and state employment statutes.
- Handle administrative matters at federal and state agencies such as the EEOC, or California DFEH or DLSE; oversee outside counsel handling employment litigation.
- Draft and advise on employment related documents such as offer letters, employment agreements, incentive compensation plans, retention agreements, separation agreements, and termination agreements.
- Remain informed and update Human Resources partners on legal, regulatory and other developments in the employment law arena; anticipate their potential impact on the company’s operations and strategy; and provide counsel to business and human resources to effectively manage these issues; draft and update human resources policies to comply with applicable laws and reflect legal developments.
We are seeking a lawyer with three to six years of employment law experience. Although a combination of both law firm and in-house experience is preferred, we are open to considering lawyers solely with large law firm experience. Admission to the California Bar preferred.
- JD from a nationally recognized law school
- Experience working for a large law firm
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interact well with business executives and provide pragmatic advice that balances business needs and legal risk
- Three to six years of experience focused on employment law including counseling on compliance with California employment law
We offer an exceptional work environment, ample opportunities for professional development and a strong compensation and benefits package.
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.