AVP - Data ScientistApply Job ID: R-002284 Date posted: 02/20/2018 Primary Location CA-San Diego
The AVP, Data Scientist will be an integral part of LPL Financial's Business Intelligence (BI) team, which is responsible for driving data-driven decision making across the organization. The
BI team sits within the Investor and Investment Solutions (IIS) group which is an assembly of shared services including Strategy, Marketing, Advisor & Investor Experience, and the new Innovation Lab, which all work across the broader LPL organization to support individual groups as internal consultants.
The AVP, Data Scientist sits within the Data Science team of the Business Intelligence (BI) team, and plays an instrumental role in the delivery of analytics-driven insights to our business partners across the organization. Key recent initiatives of the Data Science team have included building a predictive targeting model for our advisor (customer) recruiting teams, identifying common growth drivers of advisors who are growing their practices, and delivering insights to the sales and consulting teams on the value of sequences and sets of activities. The BI team as a whole is also serving as the core of a growing Analytics Center of Excellence at LPL that is working to bring together analytics practitioners from across the organization.
Ability to structure and develop recommendations to solve complex problems leveraging advanced analytics (data mining, predictive modeling and machine learning) Develop deep analysis on how sales activities, advisor behavior, and marketplace events impact advisor growth and associated product sales Conduct ad-hoc analyses as appropriate to support priority business projects; Respond in a timely manner to ad hoc questions from executives Collaborate with technology organization on support for data resources and for delivery of analytics insights
Other Job Duties:
Ability to think independently, creatively problem solve, and connect various thoughts, observations, and results into innovative solutions Balance in managing upward, laterally, and downward across the organization in order to maximize the value of the firm’s business intelligence capabilities Ability to connect outside (industry and competitors) observations with views of the LPL Business
- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Information Science, Finance, Economics, or related discipline is required
- Master's degree in Statistics, or other relevant advanced degree is strongly preferred
- At least 8 years of related work experience, Financial Services (Investment Services) industry experience is preferred
- Minimum of 2-3 years in an advanced analytical function is required
- Very skilled in advanced analytics, including predictive modeling and machine learning algorithms other than logistic regression
- Proficiency in statistical analysis languages such as R or Python
- Experience with text analytics / natural language processing is a plus
- Experience with deep learning / artificial intelligence frameworks is a plus
- Experience working with relational databases, e.g., SQL Server, Oracle
- Experience with big data analytics programming like Spark or Scala is a plus
- Exceptional problem solving skills that enable efficient identification of issues, development of hypotheses, and the execution of robust quantitative analyses to answer business questions
- Ability to translate findings into business insights and to communicate them in a way that is clear and meaningful for senior management
- Ability to synthesize and work with various data types from a variety of sources, e.g., operational, transactional, financial, survey, third party vendor, and macroeconomic
LPL Financial, the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer since 1996* and the fourth largest broker/dealer overall, serves as an enabling partner to more than 14,000 independent financial advisors and approximately 700 financial institutions. Since its formation decades ago, LPL has focused on one primary mission -- enabling independent financial advisors to bring objective and un-biased financial advice to millions of Americans.
Headquartered in Boston, San Diego, and Fort Mill, and powered by more than 3,300 client-centric employees, LPL is financially strong and growing.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.