AVP, ResearchApply Job ID: R-004572 Date posted: 11/20/2018 Primary Location CA-San Diego
Assistant Vice President, Research
LPL Financial is the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer and fourth largest broker/dealer with more than 14,000 independent financial advisors in more than 4,000 branch offices nationwide. LPL Financial has been ranked the number one broker/dealer in its class consistently over the past 10 years. Financially strong and growing, its corporate offices are in Boston, San Diego, and Fort Mill, SC.
LPL Financial Research is a 50+ person team that provides market, investment, and portfolio advice to our independent advisors. Our mission is to be a trusted partner to our advisors who provide investors with choices to help meet their financial goals. In this endeavor, our sole motivation is to provide solid due diligence, investment strategy and portfolio management advice — as a partner for those advisors who manage client assets themselves or as a portfolio manager for those advisors who want to leverage our experience. Due to the LPL Financial scale and position, our Research team has direct access to the best active and passive managers in the industry. We combine this access with proprietary quantitative, fundamental and technical research strategies to proactively invest for our advisors and their clients.
The Assistant Vice President, Research, will report directly to the Chief Investment Strategist of LPL Financial. In this capacity, the individual will be required to exhibit proficiency in several disciplines, with an emphasis on economic analysis, interest rates, and fixed income. The AVP, Research will also need to combine skills including market analysis, writing, public speaking and portfolio management. As a leader in our San Diego office, the individual must be comfortable presenting LPL’s Market Outlook at client West Coast client events, as well as LPL Research offerings during financial advisor recruiting efforts.
As a result, the position necessitates an individual with strong financial market acumen and an ability to write concisely and under the pressure of frequent deadlines for daily blogs and market updates, too. These efforts will transition from assisting the Chief Investment Strategist to working with the broader Research Team to collaborate on Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly and Annual publications, as well as PowerPoint presentation decks.
To perform these tasks at a high level, the individual need not only be a strong writer with a solid understanding of the global economy and financial markets, but also expert with Bloomberg and Microsoft Office. Social Media savvy will also benefit the team, and a professional, dedicated demeanor with the confidence to present ideas/updates to analysts and advisors is also preferred.
The Candidate will ideally possess the following competencies and attributes:
- Approximately seven to ten years’ previous experience within the financial services industry;
- Strong understanding of economic analysis, interest rates, and fixed income
- Discipline to work independently, along with collaborative skills to effectively partner with colleagues in Boston, MA and Fort Mill, SC.
- Experience in portfolio management
- Superior communications skills, both written and verbal
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Expertise working with Bloomberg and Microsoft office
- Ability to clearly explain financial information to different audiences;
- Flexibility to meet deadlines and work in a results-oriented, fast-paced and growing environment, while establishing priorities and meeting goals
- High ethical standards and a strong work ethic;
- Desire to contribute to the success and growth of an organization;
- Interest in continued development of analytics to measure effectiveness of team’s efforts;
- Financial industry or service-related certifications are a plus;
- FINRA Series 7 and 63 preferred (if not already held, passing exams to obtain licenses will be required soon after hiring);
- A bachelor's degree and MBA/CFA, CFA-candidate is preferred
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.