Deputy Chief Compliance OfficerApply Job ID: R-011360 Date posted: 12/04/2020 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill Other Locations CA-San Diego
LPL Financial is seeking a dynamic and accomplished executive to serve as Deputy Chief Compliance Officer. This role will report directly to LPL’s Chief Compliance Officer and oversee a team responsible for compliance program management and risk assurance. In addition, this role will be responsible for the coordination and/or delivery of advice to the Compliance Department and firm business units regarding regulatory requirements, exposure and implications of firm initiatives. This person will also be responsible for leading or representing the Compliance department on various governance committees, and for helping to lead key initiatives and oversee project delivery. The position may begin as a remote position, with the expectation that the person will be located in the San Diego, CA, Boston, MA, or the Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte, NC Metro area) when conditions improve.
- Lead the team responsible for regulatory exams and inquiries and other regulatory affairs; as well as responsible for performing regulatory event (both internal and external) tracking and attendant controls reviews
- Lead the teams responsible for regulatory change management and rule tracking, enterprise policy governance and policy management, compliance training and continuing education, as well as compliance communications to the field and internal business partners
- Lead the team responsible for overall compliance program management and risk assurance, including the compliance program assessment, compliance risk assessments, compliance testing strategy and testing in support of FINRA Rules 3120 and 3110, the Investment Adviser Annual Review, etc.; as well as responsible for overseeing departmental quality control efforts, issue management, program level KPIs and KRIs, and overall governance
- Coordinate and/or provide advice to the Compliance Department and business units as it pertains to rule interpretations and requirements, as well as regulatory exposure and other legal implications. Liaise closely with the Litigation, Regulatory Enforcement & Investigations teams to understand the implications of current matters and developing trends.
- Represent Compliance on various governance committees
- Lead or represent Compliance on key initiatives, including remediation projects, M&A reviews, enterprise risk assessments, broader assurance initiatives, and others as assigned
- Assist the CCO in ensuring that key projects including rule change implementations, remediation initiatives, regulatory commitments, and control enhancements are appropriately executed
- Represent the firm on industry committees, roundtables and seminars
- Provide strategic guidance and support on special projects to the CCO and Compliance, Legal & Risk Leadership team
- Undergraduate degree required; JD and admission to the bar in at least one state highly preferred
- Series 7 and 24 highly preferred; additional securities licenses a plus
- 10+ years financial services industry experience, with significant experience in senior level roles in broker-dealer and investment adviser compliance, and/or related legal/regulatory experience required
- Ability to understand the firm’s business strategy, stop and consider big picture, and see around corners
- Ability to work with and communicate effectively to various levels throughout the organization, including interactions with LPL’s Management Committee and Board of Directors
- Ability to be execute large initiatives at scale
- Innovative and creative thinker
- Problem solving skills that enable thorough and efficient identification of issues, structuring and execution of analysis, development of actionable recommendations, and implementation of those recommendations
- Proclivity for digging in, not stopping at the first answer, using data and metrics and considering multiple viewpoints
- Excellent judgment, persuasion and negotiating skills
- Self-reliant, passion for execution and results
- Holds oneself and team accountable for decisions, direction and deadlines
- A natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance, that of the team, and adjusts as needed. Uses metrics and feedback loops to understand the health or progress of initiatives, can apply agile approach and other management techniques, ability to pivot
- Understands and addresses the dynamic and working relationships of teams and functions
- Excellence in change leadership and process improvement
- Ability to manage and lead geographically dispersed teams effectively in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Experience leading and motivating a direct report and cross-functional team and influencing others outside of direct reporting relationship
- Ability to leverage others’ expertise and experience in identifying, evaluating and mitigating risks
- Ability to both assess and develop talent
- Effective communicator and motivator who can engage and inspire employees
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lpl.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.