Intern, Legal - Early Dispute Resolution, Litigation & PrivacyApply Job ID: R-002433 Date posted: 03/16/2018 Primary Location CA-San Diego
The Summer Legal Intern, Early Dispute Resolution Litigation & Privacy (Currently Enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school) will assist attorneys in the Early Dispute Resolution group, including the SVP and Associate General Counsel, with a wide variety of legal issues relating to customer complaints arising out of the company’s broker-dealer business.
This role will report to an Assistant Vice President, Associate Counsel within the Early Dispute Resolution group of the firm’s Compliance, Legal and Risk Department. The role will require frequent interaction and collaboration with Legal Support Associates, Paralegals, and the company’s compliance and operational/service teams. The successful candidate will work closely with the supervising AVP, Associate Counsel to risk review customer complaints and assist in drafting responses to customers and opposing counsel.
- Closely analyze customer complaints, identify risk, and be ready to discuss in detail the allegations presented.
- Analyze sensitive customer account documents in order to determine whether allegations are credible.
- Communicate professionally, consistently and accurately with supervisors and other business units to obtain information necessary to resolve complaints.
- Independently research a wide variety of financial products and their properties in order to assist in responding to allegations of sales practice violations.
- Observe settlement negotiations as appropriate, think strategically, and suggest equitable resolutions to customer complaints.
- Strictly adhere to ethical rules, including those concerning privileged and confidential communications.
Other Duties/Skill Requirements
- Currently enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school.
- Required Coursework: Legal Research & Writing, Contracts, Corporations. Experience or coursework in Securities Regulation, rules and regulations of self-regulatory organizations a plus.
- Law Review, Judicial Extern/Internships, TA positions a plus.
- Strong research, writing and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to discuss complex fact patterns in detail.
- Adaptability and willingness to take on a variety of new tasks in a fast-paced environment, or change the priority of current tasks as needed.
4707 Executive Drive, San Diego, CA 92121
Internship starts 6/4 through 8/10
Monday through Friday 8-5
Average Hours Per Week
Skills & Qualifications
Active enrollment in Bachelor’s degree program, approaching your senior year, as well as a minimum GPA of 2.5. Pursing a degree in criminal justice, political science is preferred.
When applying please attach a copy of your unofficial transcripts, resume and cover letter stating why you are interested in our internship position and what makes you a strong applicant. We’ll be in contact quickly to let you know if your application has been successful and what the next steps will be. Thanks for your interest!
What You'll Do
Our competitive 10 week paid graduate internship is an unparalleled opportunity to develop as a leader while sharpening your skills. The aim of our internship program is to provide students a valuable workplace experience to enhance their educational and professional goals. The projects that you drive during the summer will be tailored to your interests and will strategically affect change at our company. You will also have the chance to develop a deeper understanding of our culture and core values though career workshops, senior executive interactions, and community involvement opportunities.
We're looking for goal-oriented people who thrive in a fast-paced team environment and are eager to apply their problem solving skills to real business challenges. We empower employees to transform their skills, interests and connections into meaningful, collaborative solutions that work for the good of all of our stakeholders – our colleagues, customers and communities.
LPL Financial, the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer since 1996* and the fourth largest broker/dealer overall, serves as an enabling partner to more than 14,000 independent financial advisors and approximately 700 financial institutions. Since its formation decades ago, LPL has focused on one primary mission -- enabling independent financial advisors to bring objective and un-biased financial advice to millions of Americans.
Headquartered in Boston, San Diego, and Fort Mill, and powered by more than 3,300 client-centric employees, LPL is financially strong and growing.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.