Risk Intelligence & Insight InternApply Job ID: R-008745 Date posted: 02/03/2020 Primary Location CA-San Diego
Summer Intern, Risk Intelligence & Insight
Interns will integrate into a data and analytics team within the Investment Product Risk department, and be key members that will assist in strengthening and upgrading our Supervisory Intelligence dashboards and other tools. In addition, interns will assist in other assignments throughout the internship period. This data and analytics team, titled “Risk Intelligence and Insight,” serves to help the larger Business Risk Management organization identify, understand and address potential conflicts of interest, connecting investment products and their risks to advisor sales practice. You will help develop tools that synthesize and analyze our rapidly growing data and draw correlations based on connecting these large data sets, to help leadership make data-driven decisions. You will also track key business metrics, understand current business processes and build predictive models. This position seeks individuals with technical competencies of statistics, problem solving, machine learning, and coding languages with strong analytical, data management, and organizational skills.
What You'll Do
Our competitive 10 week paid graduate internship is an unparalleled opportunity to develop as a leader while sharpening your skills. The aim of our internship program is to provide students a valuable workplace experience to enhance their educational and professional goals. The projects that you drive during the summer will be tailored to your interests and will strategically affect change at our company. You will also have the chance to develop a deeper understanding of our culture and core values though career workshops, senior executive interactions, and community involvement opportunities.
We're looking for goal-oriented people who thrive in a fast-paced team environment and are eager to apply their problem solving skills to real business challenges. We empower employees to transform their skills, interests and connections into meaningful, collaborative solutions that work for the good of all of our stakeholders – our colleagues, customers and communities.
- Develop, validate and maintain custom data models and algorithms using machine learning, statistical modeling, and optimization techniques to predict compliance outcomes and recommend practical solutions to optimize compliance strategy and investor safety.
- Build compelling visualizations and interactive dashboards that enable users to understand the analysis.
- Provide root cause analysis for non-compliant sales practices, including troubleshooting of pre- and post-implementation of new policies and improvements.
- Integrate economic, financial, market, and industry data to detect trends, associations, and impacts (cause-effect relationships) to LPL.
- Record benchmarking data (competitive positioning), advisor compensation, and product pricing (fees and expenses).
Other Duties/Skill Requirements
- Mine and analyze data from custody and direct business databases to track transactional trends, investment product usages, and advisor behavior.
- Assess the effectiveness of these tools to monitor data accuracy and the quality of our metrics framework and supervisory controls.
- Communicate effectively with business leaders on project status, timeline and technical results
Internship Standard Length
Monday through Friday 8-4:30
Average Hours Per Week
Skills & Qualifications
- College student who will have completed their sophomore or junior year in 2020.
- We prefer students in the Data Science or Mathematics programs, but will also consider other academic programs.
- 3.0 Minimum Overall GPA Required
- Advanced proficiency in Tableau or Power BI, and SQL
- Basic knowledge of statistical concepts such as probability theory and hypothesis testing
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize data into actionable insights and communicate recommendations to leadership
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with a track record of working well with business stakeholders
- Statistical programming knowledge (e.g., R or Python) is preferred
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 4,200 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2019, based on total revenue.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lpl.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.