SVP, Associate General Counsel of Litigation and ArbitrationApply Job ID: R-003425 Date posted: 07/16/2018 Primary Location CA-San Diego
The Senior Vice President, Associate General Counsel of Litigation and Arbitration, is an attorney who will report to the Executive Vice President (EVP) for Advice litigation and Regulatory Strategy in the Firm’s Compliance Legal and Risk Department. This role will be based in San Diego.
This person will supervise all activities of the Litigation/Arbitration group, the team of attorneys and paraprofessional staff who represent the Firm in all litigation and arbitration matters filed against, or commenced by, LPL and/or its affiliates or advisors. S/he will be responsible for reporting the group’s activities and productivity metrics to the EVP and firm management; identifying risk areas and gaps and escalating those issues to appropriate firm personnel; coordinating with colleagues in other LPL departments on cross-departmental initiatives; and reporting to and advising senior management of the firm.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Manage a team of handling attorneys and staff located in Boston, San Diego and Fort Mill, South Carolina
- Strategically manage and supervise the firm’s litigation and arbitration docket to ensure effective representation and optimal litigation results. Activities will include: attorney assignment and outside counsel selection; regular communication with handling attorneys and to maintain familiarity with docket and provide ongoing oversight and guidance on case strategy; case report evaluation and approval of all settlements; workload management for attorneys and paralegals; and regular reporting to firm management about claim activity and related exposures.
- Maintain and implement all Litigation/Arbitration policies and procedures
- Maintain and implement supervisory controls to ensure the Group’s compliance with Litigation/Arbitration policies and procedures, Firm and Firm policies and procedures, and regulatory reporting obligations
- Maintain and implement data controls to enable reporting on claims metrics; deliver reporting on metrics to senior management and firm risk oversight committees including in periodic formal presentations to management
- Respond accurately to internal and external audit requests or requests for claims data
- Serve as a liaison with other LPL departments and coordinate risk management efforts with other business units
- Serve as liaison and point of contact with Finance on reporting of all claim exposures and receivables, and with all insurance providers with regard to coverage determinations, negotiations and indemnification requests
- Proactively report to Firm management on policy recommendations arising out of Litigation/Arbitration case findings
- Manage all hiring and talent management activities of the team
- Substantial experience (15 years +) as an attorney, including in a Litigation group at a financial services firm or law firm serving financial services clients
- Management experience required
- High level of familiarity with the many legal standards and regulatory schemes that apply to retail financial services (Broker-dealer experience and/or RIA experience preferred)
- Deep familiarity with and understanding of discovery rules, attorney-client privilege and work product privileges, and professional ethics, particularly as they apply to an in-house environment
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, experience with formal presentations and public speaking
- JD and an undergraduate degree from accredited institutions of higher education as well as a state bar membership in good standing are required.
- California bar membership or, alternatively, willingness to take the California bar exam
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.