SVP, Advisor SupervisionApply Job ID: R-007609 Date posted: 09/16/2019 Primary Location SC-Fort Mill Other Locations CA-San Diego
The SVP, Business Risk Management (BRM) will serve as a senior leader in the Compliance, Legal & Risk business unit and is responsible for the business related risk management functions in CLR. These include, but are not limited to, supervision of advisors, due diligence of recruited advisors, outside business activities and product risk review. Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, this individual will build, sustain and optimize a robust advisor supervisory program and foster an environment of identifying and mitigating risk at it pertains to advisor recruitment, discipline and operations.
The SVP, BRM will be the principal subject matter expert on advisor supervision and will ensure BRM staff maintains a high level of knowledge, expertise and practice within this capacity. This individual may represent the company at industry events, regulatory meetings, and will also present from time to time at the company risk oversight committee, management committee and board meetings.
- Identify, lead, train, mentor and develop BRM managers in the execution of daily operations with mindset on cultivating senior leaders who evidence good judgment, are empowered to make risk-based decisions and who, ultimately, may be ready to assume greater responsibilities within BRM and/or CLR.
- Direct and motivate staff and ensure an environment that encourages associates to develop their professional capabilities and support their career objectives.
- Reports to the Audit and Risk Oversight Committee of the LPL Board of Directors and LPL's Risk Committee of any issues of compliance with the Program, including the sufficiency of the resources provided to fulfilling the Program.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of all relevant Compliance laws and regulations, regulator focus and industry developments with the ability to assess the impacts to BRM functions
- Has a thorough understanding of brokerage and advisory platforms with the ability to align controls to LPL’s corporate strategies and various business models
- Develops and maintains strong business relationships with senior leaders in the Business Development and National Sales and Consulting organizations
- Oversees LPL's training relating to Risk Management Programs
- Serving as a key contributor for CLR’s cultural, digital, service and talent transformations, including
- Collaborating with other senior leaders on the team and in the organization to innovate and find ways to optimize core processes through advanced techniques such as artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Assessing talent, cultural dynamics and processes to foster a “risk ready” mindset and approach to supervision
- Facilitate effective operational governance for all BRM initiatives which includes defining scope of work, assigning appropriate resources and prioritizing project initiatives, including allocation of technology-dependent work.
- Report BRM key performance indicators and other department metrics to Chief Risk Officer, management team, and company's executive leadership.
- Oversee department budget and work closely with the CLR Chief of Staff to align financial priorities
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree; (law degree a plus).
- 15 years of brokerage and/or investment advisory business, compliance, legal or risk management experience
- Series 7 & 24 (within 90 days of start date)
- This individual will interact with the CLR Management Team and government agencies and industry associations to include but not limited to SEC, FINRA and SIFMA.
- Ability to forge solid relationships with senior management teams both in CLR and across LPL.
- Strategy formulation and implementation; tracking and measuring progress against agreed objectives/ deliverables.
- Budgeting & Forecasting experience
- Project Management and Change Management experience
- Focus on Continuous Improvement
- Executive level presentation and communication skills
- Demonstrates strong General Manager, Talent Management and Strategic Agility skills
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.