SVP, Associate Counsel, Early Dispute ResolutionApply Job ID: R-002708 Date posted: 04/10/2018 Primary Location CA-San Diego
At LPL Financial, we are currently looking for a Senior Vice President, Associate Counsel to head our Early Dispute Resolution (EDR) team, which sits within our Compliance, Legal, and Risk (CLR) function. This position will be located in our San Diego office and will report to the EVP, Deputy General Counsel, Head of Litigation.
The EDR group is responsible for handling all written and verbal customer disputes (both sales practice and operational) prior to formal filing that come into or involve the firm. It also manages the statistical and 4530 CRD filings required by FINRA. These are critical functions that impact the firm’s financial, regulatory and reputational risk profile. The EDR group also works very closely with other groups in the Legal Department and some its senior attorneys occasionally handle customer complaints that turn into arbitrations. Close coordination is also required with other CLR and business partners.
The successful candidate will handle assignment, reporting and handling of customer complaints, as well as managing the team under his/her supervision. Coordination and management of outside counsel is also required. Additional responsibilities will include rendering related legal advice and counsel to the Firm and various business units relating to the proper risk mitigation of complaints, as well as application of federal, state and SRO rules and regulations. Ability to identify and escalate appropriate issues is critical.
- Manage all customer complaint matters involving the Firm and/or its associated persons through resolution, defense and escalation.
- Evaluate legal financial, regulatory and reputational risk and exposure, coordinate and prepare written responses.
- Be responsible for appropriate FINRA regulatory reporting responsibilities.
- Manage bi-coastal team of EDR attorneys, paralegals and legal support associates.
- Provide timely escalations to partners in CLR and other business units, including risk assessments and status updates of matters for executive management.
- Advise internal departments about risk areas and provide legal guidance regarding Firm procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Serve as a representative to standing and ad hoc Firm committees and task forces.
- Participate as key collaborator with other colleagues in the compliance, legal and risk function – particularly those in regulatory and litigation
- Participate in industry events and educational seminars focusing on customer complaint handling; maintain current practice knowledge through monitoring of industry related periodicals and other publications.
- Juris Doctor degree required
- Licensed as an attorney in California or licensed in another state and willing to get licensed in California promptly
- Management experience necessary, with experience managing remote employees preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of financial services experience; prior employment with a broker-dealer is highly desirable
- Proven as a strong advocate and solution-oriented partner with the ability to collaborate and multi-task
- Clear communication and superior writing and analytical skills
- Ability to travel to other LPL offices
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.