VP, Associate Counsel-LitigationApply Job ID: R-006857 Date posted: 05/31/2019 Primary Location CA-San Diego
LPL Financial is seeking an Attorney to join our Litigation and Arbitration team here in San Diego. This position is responsible for a broad range of in-house legal services, with a primary focus on defending the firm and its advisors in FINRA arbitration and litigation matters. The attorney in this position will handle matters in-house, including through a trial or hearing, and will also manage some cases handled by outside counsel. Additional responsibilities will include rendering legal advice and counsel to the company and business units while working to achieve equitable resolution of claims and responding to customer complaints and regulatory inquiries.
- Defend litigation and arbitration matters brought against the firm and its advisors. Evaluate legal and regulatory risk and exposure, control own calendar, draft pleadings, manage discovery, and handle settlement negotiations and/or the trial or arbitration hearing.
- Monitor insurance status of claim; draft insurance coverage correspondence and participate in claims meetings and negotiations.
- Respond to customer complaints and regulatory inquiries from FINRA, SEC, state regulators.
- Interpret and apply legal and regulatory guidance. Requires superior judgment and aptitude for reading and interpreting relevant statutes and industry regulations. Familiarity with brokerage or financial industry regulation and compliance a strong plus.
- Advise internal departments about risk areas and provide legal guidance regarding firm procedures.
- Adapt quickly to changing environments and independently manage litigation caseload assignments, as well as other assignments, cases and matters within litigation.
- Handle internal and external client contact in a professional, courteous, and confidential manner.
- Juris Doctorate degree required
- Licensed member in good standing of the California bar or willing to get licensed promptly
- Minimum of 6+ years of securities arbitration or litigation experience
- Proficient computer knowledge in Microsoft Office suite applications, including Excel and Word
- Strong dispute negotiation skills
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Clear communication and excellent writing skills
- Ability to travel as needed
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.