The Regulatory Investigations and Inquiries (RII) staff is primarily responsible for managing the Firm’s interactions with federal and state securities regulators as well as self-regulatory organizations (e.g., FINRA). In practice, this means serving as the principal point of contact in connection with regulatory examinations and investigations of the Firm and its associated persons.
The successful candidate will manage a variety of regulatory examinations and investigations with the support of one or more RII analysts under the attorney’s supervision. On occasion, coordination with and management of outside counsel is required. Additional responsibilities include coordinating with the Regulatory Counseling staff in connection with the rendering of legal advice and counsel to the Firm and various business units relating to the application of federal, state and SRO rules and regulations, as well as coordination with the Litigation Group staff in connection with regulatory investigations and examinations that implicate threatened and actual litigation.
• Manage regulatory examinations and investigations involving the Firm and/or its associated persons. Responsibilities in this area include, among other things, evaluating legal and regulatory risk and exposure, reviewing draft written responses prepared by RII analysts, negotiating productions with regulators, and defending witnesses at testimony and during informal interviews.
• Coordinate with the Regulatory Counseling staff in connection with the rendering of legal advice and counsel to the Firm and various business units relating to the application of federal, state and SRO rules and regulations.
• Coordination with other groups in the Legal Department on issues, including the Litigation Group in connection with regulatory investigations and examinations that implicate threatened and actual litigation.
• Provide on-site counseling to branch office locations and home office business units during regulatory examinations and investigations.
• Serve as the Legal Department’s representative to certain standing and ad hoc Firm committees, task forces, and working groups.
• Attend industry events and educational seminars focusing on regulatory developments and initiatives; maintain current practice knowledge through monitoring of industry related periodicals and other publications.
• Juris Doctor degree required
• Licensed member of the bar, in good standing, in the state in which the attorney is located
• Minimum of 10 years of securities regulatory experience; prior employment with a federal, state or SRO securities regulator is highly desirable; prior in-house experience preferred
• Proven ability to multi-task
• Clear communication and superior writing and analytical skills
• Ability to travel as needed
• Flexibility for location in Boston, Charlotte or Washington, DC.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
LPL Financial, the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer since 1996* and the fourth largest broker/dealer overall, serves as an enabling partner to more than 14,000 independent financial advisors and approximately 700 financial institutions. Since its formation decades ago, LPL has focused on one primary mission -- enabling independent financial advisors to bring objective and un-biased financial advice to millions of Americans.
Headquartered in Boston, San Diego, and Fort Mill, and powered by more than 3,300 client-centric employees, LPL is financially strong and growing.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.