VP, Strategic Communication & Public RelationsApply Job ID: R-004266 Date posted: 08/21/2018 Primary Location CA-San Diego
Our Vice President of Communication and Public Relations will help set the vision and strategy for a wide variety of internal and external communication initiatives at LPL. Serving as a thought-partner to the Senior Vice President, the VP will work collaboratively across the Communication team to develop strategic plans for various business priorities. This critical leader will also manage a wide variety of public relations initiatives, including, but not limited to: the development and execution of strategic PR plans; developing messaging for key initiatives and crisis situations; and handing daily media inquiries.
The position requires a sound knowledge of PR and communication fundamentals, including a strong grasp of social media, and the ability to work at both strategic and tactical levels. The VP reports to the Senior Vice President of Corporate Communication.
Position can be located in either San Diego or Boston
Strategy: Partner with the EVP, SVP, communication peers, and business leaders to develop ongoing strategies for high-priority business initiatives and for Public Relations. Use data and analytics to establish the big picture vision, then articulate the vison and strategy through a compelling narrative (both written and verbal). Anticipate future trends and be curious about the impacts of communication, establishing KPIs and metrics to understand results. Communication and PR consulting: Act as a communication and PR consultant to various business units and senior leaders; provide counsel, support, and recommendations on strategic communications for audiences including LPL Financial advisors and institutions, investors and employees; design and implement tailored, creative, and innovative solutions to complex communication challenges, identifying and acting on key metrics for decision making; anticipate media reaction to LPL news and counsel senior leaders on messaging and response. Writing and editing: Write, edit, and distribute clear and compelling communications, including press releases, website content, client and employee announcements, Q&As, talking points, and other communications; develop effective, consistent, and relevant messaging in support of business unit goals and priorities, while working to drive client and employee awareness. Project management and dissemination: Under minimal supervision, oversee mix of small to large- scale communication-related projects, managing deliverables, budgets, timelines and teams to ensure expected outcomes are delivered on time and on budget; Leverage Owned media channels to disseminate and deliver messages and information; identify, monitor, and share relevant metrics, such as survey feedback, page views, and click- thru rates, as needed.
- Proactively develop media strategies and campaigns to elevate the reputation of LPL Financial.
- Respond to media inquiries, including serving as a spokesperson or selecting and preparing suitable LPL subject matter experts to respond.
- Exercise judgment on various media opportunities, and prepare talking points, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with internal partners and executives.
- Arrange and provide media training for key spokespersons.
- Handle media relations for special projects and events.
- Along with the Senior Vice President, support emergency and crisis communication needs as they arise.
- Some travel required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, focus on Communications, English/Journalism, Public Relations or Marketing preferred, advanced degree a plus. Strategy background also a plus.
- 15+ years of relevant Public Relations experience, either at an agency or corporation
- Seeking creative and strategic thinker
- Proactive, initiates work streams, asks critical questions and seeks information to move a project forward
- Experience executing on successful PR programs and understanding Social Media
- Excellent project management skills and strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of broker/dealer or financial services a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and professional client service manner
- Must have the ability to work in a fast paced environment with a high level of energy
- Must be an enthusiastic team player with a dedication to excellence, and a positive, flexible attitude in order to manage competing priorities
- Ability to multi-task in an execution-driven environment for maximum result
- Deadline driven; operates well under pressure and is adaptable
- Receives general supervision and is competent to work independently while demonstrating good judgment
About LPL Financial:
LPL Financial is a leader in the retail financial advice market and the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*. We serve independent financial advisors and financial institutions, providing them with the technology, research, clearing and compliance services, and practice management programs they need to create and grow thriving practices. LPL enables them to provide objective guidance to millions of American families seeking wealth management, retirement planning, financial planning and asset management solutions. LPL and its affiliates have more than 3,700 employees with primary offices in Boston, Charlotte, and San Diego.
If you join LPL, you will join a culture that believes in delivering a world-class client experience and looks to all employees to contribute to that goal by sharing their creativity, experience, and passion for continuous improvement. As a destination of choice, our top priorities are growth and development, social responsibility, and financial health for our employees.
We offer competitive compensation and industry leading benefits, including a wellness facility with onsite fitness classes, healthy meal choices, and a walk-in clinic. We support employee financial health through a 401k match, ESPP, and employee discounts. Work/life balance is our foundation and is supported through paid holidays, and paid time off (including time to volunteer). We foster a diverse work environment through Employee Resource Groups and diverse strategic partnerships.
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please login or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE
*As reported by Financial Planning magazine, June 1996-2017, based on total revenue.