VP, Assistant General CounselApply Job ID: R-013215 Date posted: 07/09/2021 Primary Location SC-Remote Other Locations IL-Remote , NC-Remote , SD-Remote
As an attorney, what inspires you?
Do you feel empowered knowing that your work helps to protect the financial futures of every day Americans? Have you felt like your current employer wants to pigeon-hole you into specialization, when you want to learn and provide advice on a broad array of issues? Do you want to provide dynamic, risk-based legal advice in a successful and growing company? Do you want an in-house position with a results-oriented company, competitive pay, benefits, and opportunity for growth?
Excited to learn more? If so, then this could be the role for you!
The Legal Department at LPL Financial is looking for an engaged and keen-minded attorney to support our industry-leading Institution Services business, through which LPL provides investment and insurance services on the premises of over 800 banks and credit unions across the United States. This attorney will provide advice on banking, investment and insurance regulations and will negotiate networking agreements that govern our relationships with our institution clients. The role, Vice President, Associate Counsel, will work with an experienced team of lawyers to provide pragmatic legal advice and thought leadership on our securities, advisory and insurance business.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Drafting, negotiating and closing a high volume and a wide variety of networking agreements, ensuring that all contracting processes are adhered to and the firm’s contracting standards are maintained, including but not limiting to those relating to risk allocation
- Effectively and proactively providing sound advice on SRO and federal and state securities, banking and insurance laws
- Partnering with our Institution Services colleagues and other members of our Compliance, Legal and Risk team to drive thought leadership in this practice area, in which LPL is already a market leader
- Supporting the Legal team’s effort to consistently review and improve policies and process to make what we do efficient and repeatable.
Please note: Additional responsibilities or duties may be assigned to you as needed or determined.
What does your success look like in the first 90 days? In the first 90 days, we expect you to have spent several hours in training, both formal and informal, to learn the nature and structure of our business. You will be actively negotiating contracts and working with other legal and business colleagues to identify risk and resolve issues.
What are we looking for?
We want strong collaborators who can deliver a world-class client experience. We are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment, are client focused, team oriented, and are able to execute in a way that encourages creativity and continuous improvement
What skills and education are required?
- JD from a nationally accredited law school; admitted to practice law, and in good standing, in at least one jurisdiction in the U.S.
- 7-10 years of significant experience providing advice on bank regulatory issues and drafting and negotiating commercial contracts
- Experience at a law firm or company in the financial services industry. Ideal candidate has worked actively with FINRA rules, Investment Advisers Act, Securities Act of 1934 and federal banking laws and regulations.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
The Compliance, Legal & Risk (CLR) team is focused on delivering an industry-leading client service and risk management experience by providing advisors and our internal business partners with proactive guidance, advice, advocacy and consultative partnerships.
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees.We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lplfinancial.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.